Canada Permanent Residence is a status given to foreign nationals who wish to make Canada their country of residence. Such citizen would be given a permanent resident card after applying as proof that he or she is a permanent resident of Canada.
Being a permanent resident of Canada does not automatically make you a citizen of Canada. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries that immigrate to Canada.
Benefit of being a Canadian Permanent Resident
There are certain perks attached to acquiring the Canada permanent residence status, they include but are not limited to the following
- It gives you access to Canadian healthcare service and social services
- It creates a pathway for you to apply for Canadian citizenship after you meet the requirements
- It gives you the ability to go across Canada’s borders and return at will
- It provides protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom
- It grants you the right to live, study and work in any Canadian neighborhood of your choice
Requirement to apply for Canada Permanent Residence
Before you apply for Canada permanent residence you have to create and submit your Express Entry profile, you will need the following documents to do so
- A passport
- Language test results
- ECA report or proof of Canadian Education
- Proof of funds
Additional documents may include
- Provincial nomination if any
- Letter of employment from a Canadian employer, proof of experience, certificate of qualification in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province
After receiving an Invitation to Apply, you will need the following documents to apply for Canada permanent residence.
- Birth certificates
- Proof of funds
- Medical exams
- Police certificate
- Common law union form (if you have a common law partner)
- Marriage certificate if you declared your marital status as ‘married’
- Divorce certificate if you declared your marital status as divorced
- Death certificate of your deceased partner if you declared your marital status as ‘widowed’
- Adoption certificated if you listed a dependent child as ‘adopted’
Other documents that might be required of you includes
- Digital photos for confirmation of identity
- Proof of relationship with your relative in Canada
- Other names for confirmation of aliases
The above listed documents should only be provided if they are requested for in your personalized document checklist.
How to Apply for Canada Permanent Residence
After receiving your ITA (invitation to apply) you have 60 days before it becomes invalid so it is advised to start your application process immediately after receiving your ITA
- Fill the online form. To do this you have to sign into your account and click the link to apply for permanent residence under express entry.
- Ensure you submit all the required documents
- Ensure to fill out all the mandatory fields, else your application will not be submitted
- If you want to you can save your information on the form and go back as many times as you need to
Permanent Resident Card
Once you have been approved for Canada permanent residence, you are now eligible to apply for a permanent resident card. This card will allow you travel in and out of Canada at will.
Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada is responsible for all permanent resident card applications.
What is the Validity period for Canadian PR card?
Although there are rare cases of 1 year validity period, PR cards are usually valid for 5 years. The expiry date will be stated clearly on the card.
It should be renewed at least six months before it expires and to do this, you have to undergo another application process. You must be in Canada when applying for renewal as Canadian PR cards are not sent to non-Canadian addresses.
If you card expires when you are outside Canada you will need to get your Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) as you will not be granted access into Canada with an expired PR card.
Leave a Comment